View Full Version : Stir fry over the campfire

Dog Lady
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
My fiance and I are avid campground campers. We aren't roughing it by any means, we think of our camping weekends as our vacation (because we don't take vacations). Something we do well when camping is eat. We eat 10 times better while camping then while at home. One of the meals we really like to make stir fry to bring camping with, us and it is really easy.

You make your rice, meat and veggies just like you normally would, adding the amount of soy sauce and other seasonings that suit you best. Let it cool to room temperature and place the contents of your pan in a large piece of tinfoil. Make sure that your seams are sealed and place in a plastic ziplock bag. When you are ready to heat over the campfire, just take out of the ziplock bag and heat, rotating every couple of minutes, for about 20 minutes to make sure it is nice and hot. If your tinfoil is thin (we get the industrial strength from Sam's Club), you may want to wrap the rice twice.

I know that this might as well be reheating leftovers, but sometimes, if you have been hiking in the heat all day, or kayaking, or whatever, you want to come back and eat an easy meal that tastes good and still fills you up. And, you don't have to wait for that grill to heat up, if you have a campfire, you can start cooking immediately!:)

06-21-2010, 07:18 PM
DL ,

Do you think it would be OK to freeze it ?

My point is that durring the day , it will thaw and be ready to eat for the first night out dinner when backpacking .

Can you freeze it without ruining it ?

Thx ,

Dog Lady
06-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't see why you couldn't freeze it, that is actually a fantastic idea. And, just to make sure that it isn't all dry and the rice gets real sticky, it isn't a bad idea to make sure that you add extra liquid (the sauce you are using should work good), if you are going to freeze it. I am going to have to give that one a try during our next trip.

06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
I like to try all my new recipes at home, I have spent too many nights in the woods eating food that just didn't taste very good. That goes for all the dehydrated foods (Mountain House, etc) that we eat :o