Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation

Go Back   Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation > General > Gear Reviews > General Camping

Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default Pentax Optio WG-1 gps

I have been using a Sony cyber shot on our trips for the past several years. During a stream crossing in the fall it popped out of my waist belt pocket and ended up in the water: very bad for high tech devices. Unless, of course, your high tech device is the Optio WG-1 which is what we chose as our replacement. Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, and 14mp, this camera is fantastic. You can check out all of the specs at http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital..._WG-1_GPS_Gray. If I am interested in a highly specialized photo shoot, I use my DSLR. For everything else, including HD video, I grab my Optio. One feature that is unique is the microscope mode: it allows real macro photos. This is a photo of a very small bug that was in my light fixture:

I havenít found the gps feature very useful, but we typically explore close to home. And as with most pns digital cameras, donít expect too much from the digital zoom. This is a quality camera that has so far withstood kayak trips and winter backpacking, as well as a full submersion in the kitchen sink to test the waterproof claim. Bottom line? Full of features, this is a great camera for a great price.