Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation

Go Back   Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation > General > Gear Reviews > Kayaking Gear

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Werner Sprite

I have been interested in the Werner Sprite kids paddle for over a year now and finally found a good deal on one. I have several Carlisle paddles and have been very pleased with them (fiberglass shaft and glass/plastic blades). From Werner, “Your kids aren't fooled. They know the difference between a real paddle like the Werner Sprite and the more common “kids paddle.” While most kid-specific paddles have all the technology and comfort of a spatula, the Sprite uses the same shape and dihedral design as an adult paddle, just on a smaller scale. A proportionally smaller version of Werner's popular touring blade is mounted on a fiberglass shaft, also proportionally narrower to fit little hands. The long, thin touring style blades are super efficient, so kids won't get frustrated because their strokes don't take them anywhere, and the fiberglass shaft is comfortable on the hands. All this adds up to a paddle your kids will enjoy using, vital to the hardest step of all, getting them out there to understand why mom and dad love kayaking.” After reading that, and with my experience with the company, I was sold. Now for the truth. I am not a kid and I am not fooled by a quality named paddle. The fiberglass handle is not of the quality I expected from this company. It seems like it is made of three different tubes glued together rather then the tapered shaft I am used to with my other paddles. Plus there are no drip rings. The idea of a small shaft for my kids sounded great but I am so far not impressed with the quality. I will comment more, after they use them, on the functionality.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

We paddled for two hours today and my youngest children, 9 and 11, both used the paddle. The 11 year old didn't really like it and wants to continue to use the adult paddle but my 9 year old loved it. "Dad, there will never be a time I do not love this paddle" and "It is so light. I hardly have to push at all" were some of the phrases he used. At one point he also exclaimed, "I love the outdoors" which made the purchase price well worth it. So, as Werner claims, even though I was not pleased with it initially, my youngest loves this paddle. If you introduce your young children to paddling, consider this small shaft light weight paddle: I am happy I finally purchased one.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention, I cut two drip rings out of a piece of 1/4" rubber gasket material that I had and added it to the paddle: it was a nice improvement.