Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation

Go Back   Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation > Outdoor Discussion > Day Hiking/Walking

Old 10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default Mosquito Lake State Park, East Side Trail

I was not expecting much when we arrived at the trailhead and was therefore pleasantly surprised during a few sections of this these trails. There is a nice variety of scenery from marsh to meadow to forest. The main trail, Turkey Run, is 2.3 miles from respective trailheads. One side trail, Deer Meadow loop, is 1.5 miles. Parking at the southern trailhead is a large gravel lot (100+ cars) popular with small craft launching, fishing, and sunset viewing. Access is Main St and McCleary-Jacoby roads in Cortland. The Northern trailhead can be accessed off of route 46 2 miles north of Cortland: parking is for about 10 cars. The map available on the state park website for these trails is not very good, it is possible that the State Park office has more detailed maps. Turkey run trail is a self guided trail with 8 descriptive stations, a few of which have been vandalized, and passes two ponds. The trails themselves are used as for snowmobile trails in the winter, though at 6.5 total miles I doubt they get much use. The southern most section seems to be a great area for bird watching and there are several side trails that all access to the lake for vistas or fishing. As we walked along, all I could think was “this would be a great trail for cross country skiing.” Very gentle grades, wide well marked trails, and often times nice views. It is definitely an area that we will snowshoes this winter, weather permitting. This is not a trail that I would recommend driving a great distance to hike, but if you live close, you should walk it out at least once.

You can see a map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...b2f0c&t=h&z=15
Old 10-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Thank you for the information. We went camping there last year and wanted to hike one of the many trails that we saw on the internet, but none of the state park campground people knew where any of the trail heads were.