Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation

Go Back   Northeast Ohio Outdoor Recreation > General > Gear Reviews > Kayaking Gear

Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 AM

Exclamation Making my canoe rack for cartopping

Being a carpenter by trade and not being able to find a car top canoe rack I like , I'm building my own . I cartop on my old work car but find it a hassle loading without rack . I've bought a few and have been unhappy with them . There are others but you need a bank loan to purchase them .

I bought two 2x4's and cut tressles and connected them with cross members and built my own . I stained them and gave them two coats oif spar varnish . They look good , work well and didn't break the back .

Now if i could send pics on here I'd give you a look see but this relic puter is non pic condusive .

Gonzo
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

If you can email them them to me I'll try to post them for you. I have the same problem with racks you do: way too much money. So I too built a couple kayak racks: one for two boats and one for three. I made mine out of 3/4 steel bar, though. I did some carpentry myself for a while but have moved on to welding, nothing is cooler than heating metal with electricity to the point that it melts lol. The two yak rack is a simple A-frame design, likely similar to yours and the three is a modified A-frame with an extra horizontal on it. Nothing special, but they work. I bet yours look great, I love just about anything made out of stained wood.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Hi Al ,

Ican't even e-mail the pics .

I can mail you a picture via Uncle Sam and Zippy Zip Code .

Will that work ?

Gonzo